My photo
Welcome! As "Annie in Austin" I blog about gardening in Austin, TX with occasional looks back at our former gardens in Illinois. My husband Philo & I also make videos - some use garden images as background for my original songs, some capture Austin events & sometimes we share videos of birds in our garden. Come talk about gardens, movies, music, genealogy and Austin at the Transplantable Rose and listen to my original songs on YouTube. For an overview read Three Gardens, Twenty Years. Unless noted, these words and photos are my copyrighted work.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Overnight Oatmeal Macaroons


Years ago I found the original recipe in Peg Bracken's "I Hate to Cook Book" and it became a family staple. It wasn't always a cookie that I made for Christmas (I make a lot of cookies to give and ship to family and friends every year) but in recent years the need for some non-dairy, gluten free recipes led me to experiment with Peg's recipe. Everyone liked this version used in December so I thought I would share with you. The cookies are at the top right of this cookie photo.




No flour/No dairy Overnight Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Macaroons

Inspired by Peg Bracken’s 1960 recipe, developed by Annie in Austin 2014-2015

Oven 325F
Line cookie sheets with parchment paper

Two days before, mix together:

4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup turbinado-type sugar - if you like sweeter cookies add more.
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup avocado oil

Cover mixture with plastic wrap, pressing it onto surface of mixture to seal out air.
Store in refrigerator at least 48 hours. If you think of it, take out after a day, mix it around with a fork then recover and replace in refrigerator.

Take out bowl, use mixer on medium speed to blend in:

3 slightly beaten eggs (I use Davidson pasteurized eggs)
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla
1 package Guittard's dark chocolate chips

Scoop & form cookie dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets leaving space between. Flatten the cookies a little.

Bake at 325 for about 13-16 minutes... take out when edges have begun to turn brown.
Carefully slide entire sheet of parchment onto rack and let cookies completely cool before trying to take them off parchment.

Number of cookies will depend on the size you make them.

Enjoy!
Annie in Austin

No comments: